Salt River Half Day Packing ListWhat to bring, where to meet, what is included, policies and more
Departure & Return Times
|9:15 am||10:00 am||12:30 – 1:00 pm|
Where to Meet
Your trip will meet in the Salt River Canyon at the junction of Highway 60 and the river between Highway Mile Markers 292 and 293.
From Phoenix, go to Globe on Hwy 60 East. Go all the way through Globe and on the east side of town there is a left hand turn at a stoplight going toward Show Low. Highway 60 turns here! (If you miss the turn, you will be on Hwy 70 going toward Safford!)
From Tucson, get on Hwy 77 North. As you enter Globe on the east side of town there is a right turn onto Hwy 60 going toward Show Low.
Once you turn at the stoplight in Globe on Highway 60, it is 45 minutes to the river. At the river bridge, go across the bridge to the north side of the river and immediately turn left onto the dirt road (watch for our sign). Head downstream about 100 yards on the dirt road and look for the Wilderness Aware trailers and vehicles in the parking area on your right. The parking area is just downstream of the bridge, so don’t go too far or you’ll miss us!
What to Bring
Do NOT wear cotton on the river! It can make you colder!
- Swimming suit and/or shorts
- Sunglasses with securing strap
- Fleece jacket or synthetic insulating layer (on colder days)
- Hat or visor (can be worn under your helmet)
- Waterproof sunscreen (Important! We are close to the sun!)
- Lip balm (with SPF 15+)
- Tennis shoes, water shoes or secure sandals (no flip-flops or Crocs)
- Cash for souvenirs and tipping your guide
- Water bottle
- Change of clothes and towel (for after the trip)
- Splash Jacket
- Wetsuit Booties
- Comfortable changing facilities
- Professional guide in every raft
- Lifejacket & helmet
- Transportation back to your car at the end of the trip
Cool Weather Items
All cool weather items are included
in the cost of Salt River trips!
Important Trip Info:
- For Additional Lodging and Activity Information, contact the Globe, Arizona Chamber of Commerce at (928) 425-4495.
- Cancellation Policy (NON-discounted reservations): If your group or any person in your group cancels their trip up to 72 hours prior to departure date and time, you will receive a full refund. No cancellation fees. If you cancel within 72 hours prior to departure date and time, for any reason, you will not receive a refund. You may reschedule your trip within 72 hours, but at least 1 hour prior to departure time, subject to availability. Rescheduled reservations are non-refundable.
- Cancellation Policy (DISCOUNTED reservations): If your reservation has a discount applied and you wish to cancel, you will not receive a refund. You may reschedule or receive a trip credit (digital gift card code).
- Late Arrival Policy: It is your responsibility arrive for your trip on time – typically 30-60 minutes prior to your scheduled departure time. We will not wait for late arrivals. Please take into account travel time, weather, road construction, etc.
- Water Policy: Wilderness Aware reserves the right to move your group to a more appropriate section of river due to extreme high or low water conditions. We will give you as much notice as possible of conditions that may affect your scheduled trip. Note that if an alternate section of river is available to your group no refunds or credits are given.
- Weather Policy: Wilderness Aware trips run rain or shine. We will not cancel or cut short trips due to rain and/or thunderstorm conditions (including lighting).
- Drugs and Alcohol: Drugs or alcohol are not to be consumed before or during the trip. This includes recreational marijuana. No refund will be given to those drinking alcohol or using drugs prior to the trip.
- Pregnancy: We do allow guests that are pregnant to participate in rafting.
Each person rafting will be required to sign a liability release form prior to trip departure. Each youth under the age of 18 years old will need a parent or guardian to co-sign their liability. Please click here to download and print our release.
Will I receive a safety orientation prior to my trip?
Prior to boarding your raft, you will receive a complete safety orientation.
Is it appropriate to tip my guide?
Tipping is appropriate, particularly if you have received exceptional customer service. If you believe that a tip is appropriate we recommend an average tip of $10-$15/guest/day. You will have the opportunity to tip your guide directly at the conclusion of your trip. We always appreciate hearing from you so that we can recognize extraordinary customer service and we also appreciate hearing from you if you feel that there are areas that we can improve upon. We strive to exceed your expectations!
What happens if I arrive late for my trip?
To provide our guests with the best possible customer service, we attempt to launch our trips on time. We operate in a remote location with a small staff and if you are late, it is possible that your trip will have launched and no one will be in the office. Due to the extraordinary logistics and limited seating on our trips we cannot offer full or partial refunds for any reason. Please plan your travel times accordingly.
What is the weather generally like on the Upper Salt River?
Daytime highs in the Sonoran desert are typically mild with highs ranging from 65 to 90 degrees. Chances of rain or late season cold front necessitate planning for a full range of weather conditions. Wetsuits are available when you check-in if the weather is cool or the water levels are high.
I cannot swim. Can I still go rafting?
Many of our participants cannot swim. We provide U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation devices designed to float you face-up in whitewater. Personal flotation devices are required to be worn at all times.
Do I need to wear a helmet?
Helmets are required and provided on the Salt River.
Can I bring anything along with me on the raft?
Each raft is equipped with a waterproof bag for any small items that you may need during the day.
Should I bring a water bottle on my raft trip?
We do not carry drinking water on your raft and recommend you bring your own bottle. Water bottles can sit on the floor of the raft.
Do you have a retail store?
We have a small selection of retail including last minute items such as sunscreen and lip balm. Plan to check out our t-shirts and hats after the trip.